Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kara Walker---Artist


Kara Walker is an African American artist whose work explores race, gender,sexuality, violence and identity has been a longtime favorite of mine. Some of her work evokes a Southern Antebellum South during Slavery and it depictions of African Americans in compromising situations--which were often true. I've had the privilege of following her work through out the years and every time I see something different. The show at the Whitney Museum in New York City chronicled her work, along with diaries full of mind exploding commentary. This insight proved to be vital to me as the viewer, because of some comments were part of the overall working mind of an artist. Kara's video work proved to be insightful and thought provoking. The show at the Whitney Museum entitled, "My Complement,My Enemy, My Oppressor,My Love" was one of the best shows with I believe is on a worldwide tour. Do go see it...

No comments:

Post a Comment