Monday, December 21, 2009

Judith Jamison's Last Hurrah!


Judith Jamison started out at Alvin Ailey Dance Theater as a dancer. Upon Mr. Ailey's pasting, she became it's artistic director which spans 20 years. This is the last season Ms. Jamison will be the director and is switching gears within the company to take it into the next 20 years. I remember being moved by the piece, "Cry" which is a solo dance number designed to encompass the life of every Black Woman. Mr. Ailey chose Ms. Jamison to dance in the role and not seeing the original production. I was so taken aback by Ms. Jamison's training of future " Cry" solo dancers that I immersed myself into the music(provided by Alice Coltrane and Laura Nyro) and choreography. I'm proud to say that in the vast volumes of dances that the company, "Cry" is my number one favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment