Monday, December 7, 2009

Elizabeth Catlett--Artist


Elizabeth Catlett is an African American artist who is now a Mexican citizen. Her work spans many genres; from sculpture, lithograph and printmaker. One of my friends is in the process of buying a print of Frederick Douglass, one of several versions from Ms. Catlett. The piece symbolizes hope and despair of Mr. Douglass' face. I can wait to see this great piece of artwork on his wall. Proudly displayed and well worth the cost. My friend tells me now is the time to buy her work, since she is in her 90's and still producing great pieces. I will never forget being introduced to Ms. Catlett's work at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia. It had a profound effect on me and my life. The sculpture was small but powerful. It exuded the nature of a mother and daughter brought together by their common and maternal bond. If by chance you come upon an Elizabeth Catlett drawing, lithograph or sculpture buy it. You will never regret the purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment