Saturday, August 15, 2009

Woodstock--Celebrating the Blackness





Jimi Hendrix, Richie Havens, Carlos Santana and Sly and the Family Stone performed for the thousands of attendees at Woodstock in upstate New York. But, did you know that unaccounted African-Americans stood out in the rain celebrating hippie liberation, sex, drugs and Rock and Roll with the rest of the brood. We were included in that mix. My older brother was a participant and thoroughly enjoyed the activities. He seem to regal in the fact of new found spiritually and faith which somehow manifested itself into his chosen profession of Reverend/Pastor.

As radio stations around the country continue to play music from the historical concert, to my surprise the Black Musicians are getting alot of airplay. Jimi Hendrix initial vocal then the gutsy guitar rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" at the conclusion of the concert brought the house down and shall forever be remembered. Then the inclusion of Sly and The Family Stone and their song, "I Wanna Take You Higher" with the standard call and response presented a church revival at Woodstock.

The director Ang Lee movie about Woodstock hits the theaters this week. I would love to hear the soundtrack and hopefully there is a fair representation of races in this movie. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Even though I was old enough, I wasn't hip enough or adventurous enough to make the pilgrimage to Woodstock. Your posting allows me to experience it vicariously. Now I want to go see the movie.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete